Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Confrontations@the Workplace

I remember reading a sociologist's account that the United States, in the early 1960s was considered a 'melting pot', meaning that there were many, many people from different countries all over the world  coming into the US and then coming together as one nation, with one set of values. The melting pot symbolized that. Increasingly, however, these days it's being referred to more as a salad bowl, where people from different countries are coming into the United States and maintaining their own ethnicities.

 

I think that's a good example of the office spaces that we are in. With high attrition rates today, there isn't too much space to develop relationships that are long lasting and for people to mesh together, form real friendships that move in one direction. There's a sense of: "I'm here for a particular time; what's in it for me? How can I contribute to what I am supposed to do here and then when the time is right, move on?" This is more of a 'salad bowl' mentality that is fertile soil for a lot of misunderstandings that are often  not cleared up – maybe an unwarranted memo, a colleague talking behind your back, a directive not followed, somebody else taking credit for what you've done, or you feel you've been slighted. All of these are things that can happen in the context of a working space. Often times, we don't have the ability or the time or the inclination to deal with it. And instead of expressing or processing what's going on, we let it simmer within ourselves. And that normally leads to, on the milder side, irritation, or at the other end of the spectrum, resentment, anger, or sometimes, even outright hatred! These are emotions that are not healthy for anyone.

 

How do we deal with that in the context of an office? The obvious answer is to confront it. Confrontation, in and of itself, is a little bit of a difficult place to be. For some people, it may come easier than others because confrontation, or the ability to confront, has a lot to do with personality types as well. yet, I believe that confrontation must happen. It is something that we ought to do whether we like it or not, whether we feel like it or not ,because it helps to clear the air of some of these debilitating attitudes that we may have.

 

I want to give you something that I read by Angela Smith. She says, "There are 5 things that you need to know when you confront.

 

1.     Give the Person the Benefit of the Doubt.

Don't go in aggressively because it could be that you are completely wrong in the motive that they had for doing what they did. Always go in soft, asking questions and then be able to retreat if you need to.

 

2.     Resist the Urge to Email

Putting things down in an email is not the best thing because it doesn't convey any emotion. However good a writer you may be, however good you are at putting sentences together, they rarely capture emotion. That is something that a face-to-face is better at.

 

3.     Sit Down and Talk

Invite the other person for a chat and explain very clearly what happened; explain your own feelings. Don't in any way be aggressive about it or shout at the other person, but explain just how you felt about the whole thing. For example, "When you made that presentation to the boss the other day, I hear that my contribution was not mentioned. It made me feel like I was left out of the team," rather than "You always leave me out and take the credit." Coming back from words like that is very difficult.

 

4.     Write it Down

Keep a written record of how you handled the situation. It's not always that you escalate things to your supervisor or your boss. There are some things that they expect you to handle yourself. Keep a written note of what happened and how you handled it, so that if it does escalate later, then you have evidence of how you handled it yourself when it happened.

 

5.     Pick Your Battles

There are some things that you just need to let go, like water off a duck's back, have a thick skin, and there are some things that are worth fighting for. So, make sure that you pick your battles.

 

Well, this may, or may not, work for you. Sometimes confrontations turn out positively, and sometimes they turn out negatively. The choice of words, the occasion, the place, all of these have a bearing on how to confront another person. I've often found that to get the best scenario is sometimes way beyond my own capability and my own thinking. I, for one, reach out to the Almighty God and say, "How do I address this particular situation? I know that I need to confront. Will You help me?"

 

Our Scriptures give us wonderful words of affirmation from God. "If you want to know what God wants you to do, ask Him and He will gladly tell you, for He is always ready to give a bountiful supply of wisdom to all who ask Him. He will not resent it." Those are wonderful words! Whenever we are wondering how to handle something, not sure of ourselves, not sure how to do it – just lean on God's understanding, who always sees far more than we do, always seeing the big picture.

 

So just a word to you as you navigate through corporate spaces and your own particular space and some of the things that may come up in the 'salad bowl' culture that we are in. Be able to confront, but do it with God's wisdom which is readily available for you.

 

May I pray with you? Almighty God, we are all different personalities and we have different ways of handling things. Yet, in our work spaces, oftentimes there is misunderstanding. There may be anger and resentment. We ask that instead of holding on to these emotions that can hurt us negatively, we pray that You would give us wisdom to know how to confront the issue and the person, so that it can be handled positively. We yield to Your knowledge and understanding, Lord Jesus, and it's in Your name that we pray. Amen.

 

·       Angela Smith, "How to Confront Someone at Work," https://www.themuse.com/advice/can-we-talk-how-to-confront-someone-at-work

·       Scripture James 1:5 

5 comments:

  1. Samriddhi Group Best has a comprehensive range of herbal tablets, supplements & capsules free from contaminants and formulated to our high standards.


    Herbal Capsules
    Astha Win Capsules
    Energy Booster Capsules
    Flaxseed Oil Capsules
    Moringa Gold Capsule
    Punarnava Capsules
    Spirulina Capsules
    WinLeuco Lady Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use donor eggs. I knew we have to try herbal made medicine. I was terrified. I didn't know how to go about it and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended me to Dr Itua herbal medicine in Western African. I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country and I was afraid  with shame I must say I thought it was a little bit...wild? Anyway she convinced me to at least check it out. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses Natural Herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. My Husband gave it a try and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. The doctors and staff were so confident and hopeful they projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua  and Lori My Dear Friend. Don’t be afraid and just do it! Try Dr itua herbal medicine today and sees different in every situation.Dr Itua Contact Info...Whatsapp+2348149277967/drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua have cure for the following diseases.All types of cancer,Liver/Kidney inflammatory,Fibroid,Infertility.Diabetes,Herpes Virus,Diabetis,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma. Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer. Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancerBipolar Disorder, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Anal cancer.Appendix cancer.,Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer.Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,OsteoporosisAlzheimer's disease,Brain cancer.Dementia.Weak Erection,Love Spell,Leukemia,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There,
    Thank you for sharing the knowledgeable blog with us I hope that you will post many more blog with us:-
    Hydrocodone 10/325mg Bitartrate Prolonged-Launch Capsules might impair the psychological and Actual physical talents needed to perform potentially harmful things.
    Email:info@psychedeliconlinemall.com
    Click here for more information:- more info

    ReplyDelete


  4. Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Pedro That Save My Family From Financial Bondage

    Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Pedro, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day I shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Pedro. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to the help of Mr, Pedro for giving me a meaning to life when I had lost all hope. If you are currently seeking loan assistance, you can contact them via: { pedroloanss@gmail.com WhatsApp+1 863 231 0632 }

    ReplyDelete