Saturday, October 28, 2017

Dream Big Intentionally

The other day I was sitting in my office and made myself a cup of coffee. This is a daily ritual for me, one that I really enjoy – a fresh cup of coffee percolating through the machine, the aroma filling the office. I love the smell of coffee. I do so enjoy that first cup of coffee in my office. I had an appointment in a couple of hours. I was dressed for that in a white shirt. As I poured out the coffee and came and sat in my chair, I very gingerly picked up the cup and brought it to my lips, being very careful after taking a sip and placing it back on the table very carefully. I was trying to make sure that I didn't spill anything on my white shirt.

 

The next day while sitting at home, again enjoying a cup of coffee, I realized that I hadn't gone to any great pains like I had taken the previous day in making sure that I didn't spill anything. I just sat down took the cup of coffee and drank it. I realized how different I acted when I had just my home clothes on. I wasn't really concerned whether I spilled anything or not.  I just sat back and enjoyed the coffee.

 

As I reflected on these two scenarios, I realized that intent was at the very center, to be very careful on one hand, and a lack of intent on the other. On the one hand, clearly wanting to make sure that nothing spilled because I was going into a meeting, and on the other hand not bothered at all – just a 'que sera sera' (whatever will be, will be) attitude. Without intent to be careful or to do something, we are very much like people without a rudder. We just let the wind take us where we want; it really doesn't matter.

 

And yet, life is not lived that way. Life is, and must be, lived with intentionality, taking the oars in our hand, steering our course, not letting ourselves be carried around by the vagaries of wind or weather. You could translate that into situations or circumstances that face us in our homes, in our vocations, in our places of work or other areas.

 

Gary Hamel and the late C.K. Prahlad wrote an article way back in 1989 or 1990 called 'Strategic Intent'. I like the title because the word strategic adds certain focus to intent. While intent by itself shows a kind of forward motion or direction, strategic intent defines it and fine-tunes it to a center or central point. Further, as these authors said, "Strategic intent takes the long view. The act of such intent is to operate from the future backwards, disregarding the resource scarcity of the present." That's such an important point, namely that we don't allow strategic intent to be determined by the resources that are at hand.

 

That's really a good word. Sometimes we are defined by the things that we have around us, and while they are important, we ought not to let them chart our course or allow ourselves to be controlled or contained by what's at hand. Somehow you need to cast your eye beyond what you can see.

 

Sun Tzu, a Chinese military strategist 3000 years ago said, "All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which great victory is evolved." Everyone can see the tactics; nobody can see my strategy. And strategy, as Prahlad says, is key.

 

So, I wonder, as you read this post, whether you have strategic intent in your life right now with the things that are going on in your life. Or have you got bogged down by the immediate present? Maybe you are saying, "This is all I have. I seem to be stuck in a rut." Well, maybe today is the day to reach out a little further and dream just a little bit bigger.

 

Jim Collins used to say, "You've got to have a BHAG." What is a BHAG? It's an acronym for Big Hairy Audacious Goal, something that is way beyond you, not based on what you have, but based on what you think you ought to be doing or ought to get at. I think all of us need to have a BHAG. It will happen if we put strategic intent into our lives. Or else, we'll just meander aimlessly around doing average kinds of things. We all have been placed here for a particular reason by the Almighty God, and a reason that only each of us can fulfill. We need to be able to dream big, to see what we can do based on the resources that God can give us. And He has given us the vision to do those things. And He will supply the resources.

 

My challenge for you today: Check to see if you have intent and then go beyond intent to strategic intent. And then go even beyond that intent that is not based on resources that are visible to you but based on what you feel is the reason why you are here on this earth, your purpose. Then pursue it with every fiber of your being.

 

May I pray with you? Almighty God, on each reading this post, wherever they may be and whatever situation they may be facing, if they are taking a beating, if they are down and out, if they've begun to be conformed to the things of this world, I pray that today Lord, You would break them out of that cocoon. Let wonderful butterflies be birthed Master, and dreams be characterized by strategic intent, not defined or contained by what they have, but dependent on You, the ultimate resource. I pray a blessing on each one of these precious ones. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

 

·       Gary Hamel & C.K. Prahlad, "Strategic Intent." https://hbr.org/2005/07/strategic-intent

·       Sun Tzu quote: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/suntzu155751.html

·       Jim Collins, BHAG--Big Hairy Audacious Goal," http://www.jimcollins.com/article_topics/articles/BHAG.html

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment